Whether you’ve been blogging for a year or a week, one thing you will need to stay on top of – is your blog content. Specifically updating your blog with content.
But some say, that after a while it can be a challenge to find things to write about. If this is the case with you right now, this article covers six ways to drum up ideas for blog content. See them below and feel free to pitch your own ideas in the comment area.
1. Notes – one thing many bloggers do when they want to have a steady stream of content idea is to have what I call a “jot it down” journal. This is essentially a notepad (whether in paper form or digital) where you jot down blog post ideas. Let’s say you’re watching a TV show and all of a sudden you spot a cool product, and think to yourself – this would make for an excellent product post. So grab your jot it down journal and write the idea in.
2. Industry News – every industry has a news source of some sort, where one can keep abreast of changes and events. This source would make for an excellent well of blog post ideas. You could report on a new product, service provider, industry event, recent development, etc. Not only is this a great way to update your blog with good content, it’s also a great way to serve your market by keeping them informed.
3. Google Alerts – this is a popular method among many bloggers. The way it works is that you need to set up alerts in Google for various terms, such as your niche topic. Let’s say you’re a travel blogger and write on this topic, then what you could do is to set up a Google alert for any of a number of terms relating to travel. The alerts are emailed once a day and this email can prove to be a great source of blog post ideas.
4. Magazines – are you an avid magazine reader? Maybe a voracious reader on the topics of history, art or food. All this magazine reading can be fodder for good blog content. Anything is game so long as you can angle it toward your niche. Make it applicable and write away.
5. Local Paper – Do you subscribe to your local paper? If so, reading it can yield a plethora of ideas for your website. Maybe a local pizzeria opened up in town that seeks to do business online or is offering a cool discount or has a new whatchamacallit. This is all good blog post material.
6. Other Blogs – one of my personal favorite methods for blog site content is other blogs. Especially if you add them to an RSS feed or follow them from a list on Twitter. Commenting and writing about another blog post is also a great way to continue the conversation on your site. As you can expand on the topic, disagree or simply add to it. Usually disagreements make great blog posts.
OK. Over to you. What are some of your fave ways to get blog post ideas? And if you happen to never run out of topics, share how or why.